Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Long Long Long

Is there such a thing as destiny? Even a little bit? And if you knew your destiny, would you still follow it? Where would you get off the bus and start hitchhiking?

At barely 5 weeks old, few things are set for my beautiful daughter Iris. Perhaps the only thing I can say for sure at this point is: she will be a Beatles fan.

While visiting Michigan this summer, I was able to accomplish one of my nursery goals, which was to purchase a new classical guitar. The luminous timbre that only nylon strings can offer was too much to pass up!

So now, everyday, I try to get in a few tunes while Mama D feeds her, during 'wake time', or whenever. A few days after bringing Iris home, I remember getting up at 3:00 AM and exhausting my repetoire since she wasn't going to sleep anyway..

And in doing this, I am getting re-acquainted with two great things: Beatles music (as if I had forgotten) and the book of complete scores to Beatles music from which I can play the guitar parts (which I had definitely forgotten).

Specifically, we've been focusing on the second disk of the "The Beatles" (or the White Album for you laypeople out there). Its really a children's album, or perhaps that's just the way I'm trying to hear it.. This contrasts greatly with how I used to listen to it, which was primarily with fear. Yep, rarely would I listen to it alone, knowing that "Revolution 9" was always lurking aroud the corner.. And I still might not, and surely Iris won't hear "Number 9" until she's in high school..

But songs like "Mother Nature's Son", "Cry Baby Cry", and "Good Night" are beautifully refreshing; just the kind of thing I'd think a child would like to listen to. But the best of all is a surprise even to me: "Long Long Long". Heavy into his pursuit of trancendental meditation, George created this simple song that, when you listen to it, has way more possible meanings than you'd originally suspect.

To me it speaks of destiny and the temporary interruptions that can occur between ourselves and others along the cycle of life and death, such as the one that just ended a little over a month ago..

Besame Mucho!!

2 Comments:

Blogger jdg said...

please you'll be playing #9 backwards for her and introducing her to Ween by the time she's 5.

Don't kid yourself.

1:14 PM  
Blogger naM modnaR said...

I shouldn't! I mean, I turned out OK, right?

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home